San Diego Christian College has partnered with CYT!
Limited Scholarships are available.
Apply for a Scholarship in Performing Arts with an emphasis in Musical Theater!
Oh, that will be a day! A day for rebuilding your city, a day for stretching your arms, spreading your wings!
Molding Individuals, Creatively and Artistically through Hands-on experience.
Dr. Paul Russell, the founder of CYT, has recently been appointed as Director of Performing Arts at San Diego Christian College. Dr. Russell is initiating a new program called the MICAH Project beginning in the Fall of 2012! The MICAH Project is an intense academic and field-experience program for anyone interested in a career in the arts, humanities, ministry, and education. At the end of their training, students will receive a BA in Performing Arts. Dr. Russell and the other Performing Arts faculty have built a curriculum that includes...
- Theater Management
- Integrating Faith
- Arts & Humanities Education
- Specialty subjects like Playwriting, Composing, Choreography, and Ethno-musicology are in the pipeline too.
In addition to academic research, students will get a chance to roll up their sleeves and apply their learning through internship and partnership opportunities with Christian Youth Theater. Students may intern, direct, produce, teach, and even manage CYT Operations around the country. CYT’s International Missions partners have also expressed interest in partnering with the MICAH Project.
We recently had a chance to interview Paul about his vision for the MICAH Project.
Question: How does an education from SDCC (with CYT partnerships) differ from other name-brand colleges?
An education from SDCC would differ from any other educational experience because students will:
- Receive training from a solid Bible-based Christian worldview. The Founders of SDCC are Dr. Tim LaHaye, the author of the Left Behind series and and Dr. Henry Morris, the father of modern creation science and founder of Institute for Creation Research. Dr. Morris also authored more than 15 books including The Genises Flood. SDCC’s mission is to “engage Christians in an academic community that offers a liberal arts education, promotes an environment of scholarship, and fisters the examination of truth, preparing them to influence the world through Godly character within a framework of the authority and inerrancy of Scripture.”
- Study directly with me (Dr. Paul Russell is the Founder of Christian Youth Theater which has grown to be the largest children's arts theater and education program in the United States... if not the world)
- Get more personal attention with an average Student-to-Teacher ratio of 7 to 1, in concentration courses.
- Partner with CYT to apply skills, minister to families through the arts, build their resume through solid field experience, and possibly even partner with CYT in a professional capacity.
Students will receive a well-rounded education in music and the arts which will make them more marketable in a church, school or professional setting - not just singing and dancing.
Question: What will students be doing during their time at SDCC and the MICAH Project?
The students at SDCC will have the experience of taking classes from some of the top leaders in the field of music, arts and education. Students will have the opportunity to specialize in three distinct professional training tracks.
Professional Music Track - Music theory, proficient in an instrument, musical arrangements, composing, accompaniment, history of music, etc.
Worship Ministry Leadership Track - Music theory, proficient in an instrument, leading worship, conducting, leadership techniques, ministry management, etc.
Musical Theater Track - under Musical Theater students can select to specialize in one of two areas:
- Performance focus - Acting, dancing, singing plus teaching and directing.
- Production focus - Costume, lighting, scenic, make-up and sound design as well as producing, marketing, sales and development.
Along with coursework, all students will be involved in producing main-stage Broadway-style musicals, musical reviews, concerts and recitals. In addition to academics, students may choose to work at CYT and teach classes, workshops and serve on artistic teams for current CYT shows as practical field work for their studies. There are over 15 shows a year to work on just in San Diego. If the desire of a student is to start a career in CYT somewhere in the world, there is no better place to receive an education. The student will learn all the necessary parts to running a successful CYT chapter during their educational experience at San Diego Christian College.
The entire MICAH Project experience is a wonderful educational and professional experience.
Alumni will be equipped for careers in ministry, arts, and education.
Click here to see a more detailed curriculum guide - COMING SOON!
Question: What can a student do after they graduate? What will this prepare the for... teaching, grad school, etc?
Students who have graduated from SDCC and its Micah Project with CYT will discover opportunities in many different professions. Some of the employment opportunities are: Acting for stage and film, radio voice over, cruise line entertainment, equity and non-equity contracts, drama teachers, choir teachers, music teachers, dance instructors, set construction and carpentry, prop design, lighting designers, sound reinforcement engineers, set designers, costume designers and construction, make-up and hair design, composers, arrangers, musicians in bands, orchestras, band teachers and private instructors, stage and film directors, choreographers, musical directors, theater managers, ticket marketing, group sales, advertising and promotions, graphic design, theater management, college professors, amusement park producing/performing, etc. There are also graduates working in many other industries not directly related to performing arts. Several alumni have been successful in graduate performing arts programs. SDCC’s desire is to develop students’ lives for the glory of God and to create a relational environment conducive to enhancing the potential of individuals as they serve Christ.
Classes start in August. SDCC and CYT’s MICAH Project are accepting applications today. To learn more about this unique opportunity or the scholarship opportunities available for CYT Alumni, contact prussell@SDCC.edu.
To apply online, click here. Once you’re accepted, you could be eligible to receive a CYT Alumni scholarship from the Performing Arts Department.
Notes for completing the online application:
- In the application, select “Music” as your “First Major”
- select “Musical Theater” as your “Concentration Option”
- - under “How did you first hear about SDCC” indicate your experience with “CYT”. This will ensure that your application goes to Dr. Russell and his MICAH Project team for scholarship consideration.